Tripod Head Suggestion

Discussion in 'Bags, Tripods, and Accessories' started by Scott Rolf, Jun 20, 2020.

1. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

You got it.

I have two tripods. One is a Benbo (NOT a Benro) that is in storage. I don't think it is what you are looking for. It is really good as an outdoors tripod. It doesn't have a center column. It can go really low to the ground. It has a bit of a knack to set it up, otherwise it can be like wrestling an octopus.

And the second one is a Frankenstein tripod. The legs are from a video tripod (given to me), it has a bowl from another tripod (brought from Ffordes used), and a Manfrotto ball head (brought brand new). This is the one that goes everywhere with me. It has a high set up height, it is stable, and it can carry a decent load. If I was to suggest what to do for you, I would get a set of legs that suit you, and then a head type that also suits you.

Have a look at both the photo and video options.

https://www.manfrotto.com/

https://www.benrousa.com/

Whatever you do, don't buy a rubbish one, as you will only get frustrated with it, and you will then buy the one that you wanted to get in the first place.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I like my G series ball head from benro. I really link my Induro Carbon Fiber tripod.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have already ordered the benro gd3wh geared head,
    i like this tripod, i can get that for £195, the last leg section is 20mm so not the very skinny set like the ones on the travel go.
    https://www.benroeu.com/products/benro-tgp17c.aspx
    any advise regarding the flip top on these pods, just a gimmick or they work well? i can see me making use of that feature.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

No idea. But I would be interested to find out what you think about it.

Gary

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i now have the Benro system go classic TGP17C with the versatile flip top,
    the benro travel tripod with ball head TSL08CN00,
    both are carbon fiber, the travel is super light weight, though it can be a bit shaky full ext in wind, last leg section is 12mm dia.

the classic is nice and light too but it has just two drop down sections so the last leg section is 20mm dia so alot sturdier.
    as for heads i got the geared benro GD3WH and the ball head that come with the travel one.
    the geared one does what it says on the tin, great for precise line ups and slow accurate movements
    and the ball one does lack a separate pano lock but then the head and pod only cost £70 new.
    both will be very useful, both work well on either tripod.
    as with lenses its a matter of seeing what i'm going to use where.
    the classic of course has now opened the door for me to get the 150-600mm sigma and a wimbly head thingy but that can wait a while, cat needed to have some teeth out so that was about the cost of a lens!!

as for the flip riser tube that can be angled and slid around, yes it is very versatile and all locks up very solid so thats pretty useful too.
    the only down side is the geared head and classic combo is too long to go in the carry bag that the classic came with as one unit.

both came with benro arca type brackets two, pu70 and pu30

GDN likes this.