Tripod Suggestion for Canon EOS M200

Discussion in 'Bags, Tripods, and Accessories' started by Arnab, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M200, Canon EF-M 15-45mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm (with a converter)
    I have been playing around with long exposures after I bought this camera(Canon EOS M200) in last winter.
    So far I am using rocks/chairs/floors for this.
    But I want to buy a tripod which will serve the purpose and will be portable enough. As I would only use my gear while traveling with my family, hence want to keep the weight to minimum.
    My focus would be to capture city light trails/ Neon Decors at night/ Night Sky.

Thank You for the help.This forum has been amazing so far.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I have two things to suggest for night sky work, a nice wide fast lens will help like a 14mm 2.8. The wider open the lens the more light you allow and the lower ISO you can use on a 30 sec exposure.

Secondly that tripod, I would suggest you shop around and see if you can find a good value on a carbon fiber, they tend to fold up rather compact and don't weigh a lot for hiking out to your location, but most importantly they dampen camera vibration and shake much better than steel or aluminum. There are a variety of choices but they will cost a bit more than a non carbon fiber one. And with a small camera and not much weight I also suggest using a bungy cord to weigh down the tripod to the camera bag underneath using it like a sandbag weight, that will help too with long exposure.

Arnab likes this.
  3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have three benro carbon fibre tripods

Benro Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod
    Benro Carbon Fibre Tripod Legs GoPlus Classic Series 3 Section TGP17C
    Benro sc08 mini tripod
    the travel one is a nice light weight one that i can carry in a ruck sack style on my back and i was half way around a wood when i sat down and released i had it, its that light,
    the classic is more of a sturdier one, a bit longer in its folded state and has the flippy center column
    the sc08 i had to order from china and it is probably the one i have used the most, even with my 100-400mm sigma and M50 for stars (use it on my wall for that)
    there are videos on youtube of them, the sc08 folds down to the size of a medium ef lens

allan walls on youtube has recently done a review of the Travel Tripod from K&F Concept - S210
    which i liked the look of alot, if i dint have a pod then i would look at that one as a possibility for what you might want.
    the heads i have are the ball heads the pods come with and i bought the benro 3 way geared head which i use for astro and any precise framing
    i'm not a huge user of tripods but its nice to have them when i need them

of the pods i have above the sc08 and travel one might be of intreast to you the most, the classic might be too large in size for easy carry around but then i'm a little itty bitty person :)

Arnab likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    A couple of questions. What sort of weight are you looking at mounting on the tripod. And what sort of head are you looking at?

I have two tripods. A Benbo, and this tripod is brilliant for low down stuff. And I was given a heavy duty video tripod that has seen better days, but it is my go to tripod. The weight of it is not a problem for me, but I can confidently mount a lot of weight on it and it's rock solid. I attach a tracker, camera and lens on top of it without any problems.

I also use ball heads.

Gary

Arnab likes this.
  5. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Johnsey, Im working on finding a fast lens which will suit me. Thank You for the suggestions in other post.
    Ill take a look, Thanks. Already got some great suggestions.I will check.

6. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Thank You those are some exiting suggestions.Im very much intrigued with Benro sc08 mini tripod.But just because it has complications with shipping, I might have to go with Benro Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod.But I think ill take sometime. Thank you for pointing towards right channel in YT aswell. Ill find the one I need.

7. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks Gary.The way im looking at it right now, weight would be 390to 650 gm at present.unless I upgrade my gear, in that case ill upgrade my tripod as well.
    I have no idea on tracker though.I have to study on this more and reach a decision. I have learnt few new words in last few days,Gotta spend time on those :D

8. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i ordered it on ebay from china to the uk and never had any customs to pay, this was before brexit though