Upgrade from Canon 6D to 5D mark 3 OR 5D mark 4???

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Galway girl, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Galway girl

Galway girl New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D, 50mm canon lens, 24-105mm lens
    Hi all,
    I currently have a Canon 6D, and want to upgrade to a 5D. The question is a mark 3 or do I go and spend the extra cash on a mark 4?? I have researched both online but can't decide! I want to also buy a wide angle lens for interior photography, if I go for the mark 3, I can afford a better lens, I'm really on the fence as to which camera to opt for. Any advice would be fantastic!
    Thank you.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Can I ask why your thinking of upgrading the 6d? The Mark 3 is 9 months older than your 6d and each have a few features the other does not but otherwise are probably pretty on par. That said i know there were issues with some people and focus on the mark 3, but I imagine that anything out there used now I would hope don't have those issues.

I guess my suggestion is to actually make the leap up to the mark 4 when you need to upgrade, but I would probably invest in more lenses before upgrading to the mark 4. I actually still shoot more on my trusty mark 2 over my mark 4, maybe because i feel like the quality is close and its more of the cheap "beater" camera now and i still wanna baby my mark 4 even 5 years later now.