What camera should I buy?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by georgekhan, Sep 20, 2018.

1. georgekhan

georgekhan New Member

I've decided to make photography my hobby. I want to get a mid range camera (is that a good idea or is lower better for now?), I don't plan on upgrading for a year or two, I figure it will take me some time and a lot of practice to go for something better if need be later on. My budget is around $500, it can be a little more if it makes sense. I keep browsing on amazon and I feel overwhelmed as I know nothing about these cameras but I really want one. I've read a few posts here and there and watched some stuff Tutuapp on youtube, however I don't know anyone I can ask irl and I just would like for someone to make sense of buying a camera. Do I need the Canon EOS Rebel T6 with bundle (I don't know 9apps what I'm looking at in those dslr bundles and I don't know if it's a deal or trash) for $ 550 on amazon showbox (can I post a link at what I'm looking at or can you guys pull it up by searching amazon?) or would just a camera and a certain lense do it for awhile? I would like to be able to use it to take pictures of my husbands band playing indoors/outdoors at night and during the day. I would love to be able to take nice shots of my kids playing sports (football & ballet) as well as close ups. I think these cameras can handle taking a decent video as well? It would be used for birthdays or holidays (where on the camera would the sound be recorded or is that an extra? I can't figure this one out at all, sorry if it is dumb to ask.) See this is where I wouldn't mind going over the budget because I was planning on buying a video cam that can record at night but if a photo cam can handle the occasional video that would be awesome and square away that purchase. I just don't know if it would be able to record in the dark is that even a thing with these types of cameras?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum,

I will try and answer some of your questions. I am not a long time Canon shooter, but looking at the Rebel T6 online, I am sure it is a really good starting point for you. Canon have sold these by the truck load for years, so they must be doing something right. In fact I have not long picked up a used film version from back in the day, and all I can say is it is very easy to use and it does everything that you need without loading the camera up with functions and loads of buttons.

But if you get the bundle, is what you are getting is the camera body and a wide angle to short telephoto lens that kind of works for most day to day shooting, birthdays and holidays as you mention above. Plus, a telephoto longer lens to take images of things that are further away. The camera is pretty small and light for what it does, so is easy to carry around. With video, there is a small built in mic to pick up sound, and you should be able to shoot at night. So you get everything to get you up and running. The camera has settings that are easy to set, and get you running without having to know which setting to use if you want to get more technical. If you decide in time that a dslr is not for you, you can sell it on, or if you like it, most people then look at upgrading the lens that came with the camera. But that is a story for another day. If you do decide to go down this path, and you have a few problems, post some images and we will try to help you out.

Also consider buying used. That is what I have done with all of my Canon gear so far.

I hope that this answers a few questions, and feel free to ask a few more if you require more information.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forum!

The bundle is a pretty good idea for someone getting started, you get a few modest priced lenses and a bag and the ability to go out and get a bunch of experience. Once you been shooting for a little while you'll have a pretty good idea if or what you want to upgrade with your setup. Maybe you just want a better lens or two later, or worse case scenario you sell the whole bundle down the road a year or two for a few hundred and upgrade to something better across the board.