What is your favorite FL/FD Camera?

Discussion in 'Canon Film SLRs' started by timw4mail, Apr 30, 2018.

1. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    There website linked gives a great rundown on how these old disposable cameras worked, essentially they are a piece of plastic with a flash wrapped around a roll of 35mm film.
    • Can you get great photos? Sure
    • Are you limited to point and click? Yes - so you need a little luck and to understand the situation and lighting for best results on your subject.

These disposable cameras were daily users in the 90s' by parents and grandparents and designed to be no hassle and get decent results at the event you were at. The guy in the video was fun to hear him use the term "different" getting a negative and albumn full of photos, because that is what I grew up with. I have shot film on some cheap cameras like a Kodak 110 all the way up through my medium format camera gear, film is fun.

Now your question can this be used for professional photos, yes and no. You probably will not get the results from a disposable that you want in many professional settings. There are people that use snapshots from cameras like this and do some fun work with it. There are people shooting 120 film in toy cameras like Holgas and showing some wonderful dream like images in exhibitions. If your camera is 35mm you are limited a fair bit on the print size. Many exhibitions of film come from medium and large format shooters in modern history but there are many famous photographers in the past who shot and exhibited great work using 35mm film. for example: Henri Cartier-Bresson well known for candid street photography.

If your thinking more like wedding / portrait as professional use I would say that film wise the tried and true method would be controlled lighting setups with medium format like 645 or 6x6 camera from Hasselblad, Pentax, or Mamiya would be far better suited to that purpose where you can control aperture, shutter and lighting.

I hope that helps answer the question, the real answer is does the format help the concept /vision for the photography you are shooting. For example Cartier-Bresson's 35mm camera matched and helped him be able to deliver the candid street photos he was well know for because it was non obtrusive and compact in format.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    In sort ..... Pick up some old disposable cameras, toy cameras, or even vintage cameras, have fun and get prints made.
    Then if you like ...figure out if you have a professional en-devour you can use them for :)

3. T90

T90 New Member

Equipment:
    2 Canon T90's.300TL flash.50mm F1.8.70-210mm F4.
    Manfrotto 055B tripod with 029 QR head and monopod.
    Tamron wide angle and Sigma one!.28-85mm. Cokin filters and other junk!
    Tamron 500 F8 mirror.Tamron 135mm 2,8
    Like T90's myself have two now and also have the dedicated flash gun 300tl which gives many options
    Also got myself an Angle finder the B version gives the view the right way round unlike the A so can put camera on tripod up as high as or tight against wall etc and can view from sides/below as been useful for photography around city of london etc where took in awkward places to try to get perspectives as best can with likes of converging lines/angles.