Which telephoto zoom?

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Roy03, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Roy03

Roy03 New Member

Hi, I'm torn between two 70-300mm lenses, the Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6IS 11 USM and the Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di Vc USD. They both have very good reviews and I wonder what your thoughts are on my choices. The Canon is really at the top end of my budget as it won't get used very much, so I don't want to spend mega bucks,

Roy

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Both of these are around 450 new right? From what I read the canon performs better at close end and Tamron at the far end. Sounds like the Tamron feels a bit heavier and rugged. Not sure if those general observations shift your thinking either direction.
    Its a decent investment monetarily I understand.

If your on a budget, the 55-250 lenses are pretty well received and significantly cheaper. So it may be worth a thought, its a crop body lens which my guess is you are a on a aps-c body. I am a huge proponent of the 70-200L lenses as they are all great, but they get more expensive quickly but may be a good long term thought with future purchases.

3. Roy03

Roy03 New Member

Thanks for your reply. The Canon retails in the UK for about £500 and the Tamron is about £320, so there is a significant difference. Also the EOS R is a full frame, which if I use the crop sensor facility, makes the 300mm length equivalent to 480mm, unless I've got the conversion the wrong way round. I would like to see if an independent makes a lens in the RF mount, which would be less cumbersome than using the mount adaptor
    Thanks for your input
    Roy

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I believe EF-s lenses work in some sort of a crop mode on the R. Full frame would obviously be preferred over the crop lenses on the eos R. I did not realize you had an R it was not mentioned in the original post. I think your best bet would be RF lenses, and third part players like sigma are starting to look at that mount so that will open options.
    Looking at higher end, high megapixel bodies I really want to stress the importance of good glass. The glass is where image quality really is, and flaws will show up easier with more megapixels. I only say this to set expectations so a consumer grade zoom will not be perfect and you will notice this with your R.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Have you considered looking at a used lens?

Gary

6. Roy03

Roy03 New Member

I have, but a lot seem to have dust Etc in them although the sellers say it doesn't affect the picture quality. Also I prefer to buy new as you get a decent warranty with a new lens, 5yrs with a Tamron lens, 3yrs with a Sigma, so I'll probably wait till the independents come out with a suitable lens. Also having the RF mount camera, there is no used lenses yet

Roy

7. SmokenMirrors

SmokenMirrors New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6DMK2 and M50
    Try Canon refurbished, I have bought a couple there and brand new looking, not ALOT cheaper but does save some money, just not sure if they ship to your location