Why no option for monochrome?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Richard V, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Richard V

Richard V New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon A2 film camera
    Canon EOS 1DS MkII digital
    Canon 70-200 f4 L lens
    Mamiya RB 67
    Calumet 5X4 rail camera
    Tachihara 5X4 field camera
    i I thought it interesting that I have the image option of monochrome in my Rebel Xs but NOT in the most recent purchase of a 1DS MkII, with seemingly eons more technology built in. Not a complaint or buyers remorse, just an observation. And yes, I "assumed" it would.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think the primary reason would be the customers being marketed to. Many of people who buy the Rebels will shoot jpg and the monochrome option is handy. Those shooting with a 1d or 5d would likely be shooting raw which is going to have all the color information in it anyway, there is little reason to apply any processing like that in camera when the consumer is likely going to want to control that in lightroom or photoshop, after dropping a few grand on a pro body.

My 2cents anyway...

steve_k and lookmore like this.
  3. Hoggy

Hoggy New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
    My guess is the same as Johnsey.. Rebels are entry-level. Most people buying more advanced cameras should be shooting raw, and not limiting themselves to a crappy jpg-only 'print'. Of course, obvious exceptions being sports/news photographers, for instance.

Out of curiosity though, does a monochrome option show up when selecting its RAW+JPG mode? I agree it does seem strange that there would be no such option. Is there perhaps an option for monochrome in any possible in-camera raw conversion 'utility'?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Steve H.

Steve H. New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 15-85, 55-250, 50 STM
  5. Dave Tweed

Dave Tweed New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 1D Mark IV; Canon 7D; Canon 300mm v/2.8 IS; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II; Canon 85mm v/1.8; Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Since the Monochrome setting is for jpg files anyway the better option is to always shoot in RAW to give you a lot more control over your post-processing, including tools mentioned above for much better B&W options.

6. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    Can't you upload your own Picture style in camera?