Your latest purchase

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by GDN, May 11, 2019.

1. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have just purchased off of Ebay another 2 lens for my 4*5 viewcamera.
    They do not arrive till the end of May.
    It's aFJujinon 150 f 5.6
    The equivalent for 35mm is 50mm.
    I also purchased a Alidis uno F77 Aniitimat lens that can only be described as very ugly.
    This is another large format lens.
    The glass is in good condition so hopefully it should ok with a with a strip and clean.
    All up cost for the Alidis was 1 dollar plus mail costs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2020

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i found a kenco 3x teleplus pro 300 converter on ebay , it came to day, adding that to my setup of extension tubes and other converters i now get 2mm on my sensor (M50 crop)
    the other interesting thing is the way this one is designed it works with the sigma 18-35 where the canon ones dont, ive not checked the 1.4 or 2x from kenco as yet for compatible design of the end lens.
    gonna have to make a macro slider/lens rest for this set up and put something interesting in the frame

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have placed an order for another lens.

I am not 100% sure that I have done the right thing here.

Once it arrives, and I have given it a workout. I will pass judgement until then.

Gary

4. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Gary , there is no other feeling than that of waiting for a camera or lens to arrive, finally when it does arrive, for some reason you can't find something to open the package with.
    I usually resort t car keys and and run it over the tape several times.
    finally you remove it from the box and look at it, place it on your camera and then there s not much around to photograph.
    Reminds me of when I received a freshly developed pack of photos for the first time.
    Taking them out and inspecting each one, unfortunately this is a thing of the past many will never experience.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    What lens did you pickup? Do you feel it could be redundant with another or is it a flyer on a older used lens and not sure how well it will perform? Just trying to gauge where the concern is on if it is the right purchase.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I agree with the nothing to photograph thing, so we are planning a week away in a months time or so, and it will be given a decent test run then. I also shoot film and there is a place in the city that does processing. I can still experience the opening of a pack of prints and looking at them. Often at the coffee shop a few doors down.

Back in the day, I used to have a 28mm f2.8, a 50mm f1.7, and a 70-210mm f4/5.6 (or there abouts) and that worked for me on a slr film body. Digital came along, and I went aps-c and my go to lens is a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art. 27mm to 52mm ish on a 1.5 crop. I really like this Sigma lens. Sharp, fast, well built. All good until I started to change camera manufacturer to Canon and the EF mount. I even went full frame with the RP. I have a 70-200 f4 L IS, I am more than happy with that. So 70mm is the shortest focal length that I have and I find it a little limiting at times. I don't have any wide or standard lenses in a Canon mount that produce sharp images. So I thought, either a 28mm or 50mm lens, and all will be good, just like back in the day. I am not sure if that thinking is nostalgia creeping in or not. I would like to aim this lens at the night sky, so it needs to be reasonably fast. Again, the idea of a prime lens fits the bill. I really like the Sigma Art range and they produce both a 28mm and 50mm lens. Both lenses fit what I am looking for. So did I buy a 28 or 50?

No.

I have on order a Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art. I have never used a 40mm lens. It seems to be a bit of an awkward focal length. Wider than 50mm, longer than 35mm.

I am sure I will grow to like it. It just seems to be an unusual lens. Part of the reason for picking 40mm over 50mm is just to get a little bit wider than 50mm. Plus I think that 50mm is too close to 70mm.

I'll let you know how I get on with it and what I think of it.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  7. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    a big box arrived today, it has my gf name on it, its my birthday prezzie, it has a laowa dispatch sticker on it.........:D

opened !!!!!
    laowapresents.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Craig Sherriff and GDN like this.
  8. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I had forgotten about this thread.
    My latest purchase (from eBay) is a mint condition Canon 430EX II Speedlite. Very impressive build quality. ETTL works a treat and extemely fast recycling time. I am very happy with it.
    It even came with the mini stand, the case and the manual.

Capture1.JPG

Capture8.JPG

GDN likes this.
  9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Where is the cake and the booze?

A X2 macro lens. Now that sounds interesting........

Gary

10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Very nice piece of kit you have there Ray. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of results you get out of it, how easy it is to use, and how consistent the results are.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  11. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have picked up a new to me Canon off camera cord 2 so I can take those flash images without mounting the flash directly on the camera.

The only flaw to my cunning plan is that I don't own a flash unit as yet.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    All my gear is second hand but for one lens, a 85mm f1.8 lens from the same company.
    There is nothing like the anticipation of opening the box to see inside.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  13. rayallen

I'm sure that most people get the flash first and then the off camera cord. You know what you have to do next!

GDN likes this.
  14. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Well, yeah. But why not do things backwards for a change.

Well, yeah. But something else might get purchased first. A flash unit is on the to get list.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  15. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    i went cheap, i didn't get the canon brand of cord i got one made by para, it seems not to work, cant figure out why......................

GDN likes this.
  16. rayallen

You have already worked out why!

17. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I was going to buy a cord made by bungee to bounce my flash.
    I was frayed that it would not work.
    Not a problem in the end as I could not stretch to it.

I'll get my coat.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  18. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Benro-Sc08 2.jpg

Benro SC08 tripod,
    really impressed with this little fella, initially i got it as a very small (handbag size) tripod for doing low down stuff instead of carrying a full size or travel pod. to which it works well.
    i tried it for some astro pics and put it on my wall, wow it was really solid and had no wobble or shake, though its better matched for my kit 55-200 i tried it with the sigma 100-400 at 400mm, both with the benro geared head which was about the same size as the tripod.
    though the sigma is pretty big sitting on top of it it handled it very well, being on a wall instead of the ground there was less leg length to have any wobble to go through.
    it came a few days ago from china to uk so i expect there will be an import tax to pay in a few days, which is a shame Benro don't offer it locally to the uk.
    i probably could have gotten a similar on in the uk but i've been happy with the quality of my other two benro tripods.

i've not been a big user of tripods in the past, only using them for stuff that has to be done on one like long exp for special effects.
    The thing they do is to close that final hole in the exposure triangle giving you truly full control over light, to which most of you already know :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  19. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Sounds impressive Caladina.

Any chance of posting some images.

Gary

20. kevin davies

kevin davies Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    eos 80D